Skip to content

Historical Pictures

  • Clough Williams Ellis' proposed model for Village
    Proposed Village Model
    Model of a proposed village created by Clough Williams Ellis
  • Aber Ia Circa1913
    Aber Ia circa 1913
    Aber Ia
  • Rear garden of Castell Deudraeth circa 1890
    Castell Deudraeth Circa 1890
    The rear garden of Castell Deudraeth taken circa 1890
  • Castle Yard circa 1890
    Castle Yard circa 1890
  • Colourful Hydrangeas by the Hotel Portmeirion in the 1960s
    Hydrangeas by Hotel 1960s
    Colourful Hydrangeas fill the flowerbed by the Hotel Portmeirion in the 1960s
  • Chantry Cottage was built in 1934 for the artist Augustus John. This is a colour picture from 1939
    Chantry Cottage 1939
    A colour picture of Chantry cottace taken in 1939. Chantry was built for the Artist Augustus John in 1934
  • Amis Reunis and Hotel circa 1928
    Amis Reunis and Hotel circa 1928
    The Amis Reunis moored by the quayside, with the Hotel Portmeirion in the background
  • Amis Reunis circa 1928
    Amis Reunis circa 1928
    The Amis Reunis circa 1928
  • Members Pass 1932
    Members Pass 1932
    A picture of a member's pass to Portmeirion from 1932
  • Observatory Tower 1935
    Observatory Tower 1930
    Drawings of the Observatory Tower from 1935
  • Anchor Drawings 1930
    Anchor Drawings 1930
    Clough Williams Ellis's original drawings for Anchor dating from 1930
  • Hotel Portmeirion entrance in the around 1930
    Hotel circa 1930
    The entrance to Hotel Portmeirion circa 1930
  • Clough Plan for Hotel 1930
    Clough Plan for Hotel 1930 (1)
    Clough's drawings for the Hotel Portmeirion from 1930
  • Hotel Portmeirion circa 1980, prior to the fire in 1981
    hotel circa 1980
    Hotel Portmeirion sitting at the bottom of the hill taken circa 1980, prior to the fire of 1981
  • The hotel from loggia
    Hotel from Loggia 1928
    Hotel Portmeirion from Loggia, with the balcony of the Watch House in the foreground
  • Hotel Portmeirion soon after opening in 1926
    Hotel from caves
    A photograph of the newly opened Hotel Portmeirion taken some time after 1926 with children playing with rowing boats in the foreground.
  • Portmeirion Impression circa 1930
    Impression circa 1930
    Portmeirion - an impression circa 1930
  • The village in colour from 1939
    Portmeirion in colour 1939
  • Proposed layout of Portmeirion drawn up in 1925
    Proposed plan 1925
    This is the first survey and layout plan of what was then named Port Meirion carried out in 1925 soon after Clough had aquired the site. In the event this proposal was not used although some elements such as the group of buildings on the cliff top did make it off the drawing board.
  • Afternoon Tea enjoyed on the lawn of Hotel Portmeirion circa 1929
    Tea on the lawn 1929
    Some guests enjoying afternoon tea on the Hotel Portmeirion lawn circa 1929
  • The Hotel Portmeirion in 1939 from a rare contemporary colour slide
    The Hotel Portmeirion in 1939 from a rare contemporary colour slide
    The Hotel Portmeirion in 1939 from a rare contemporary colour slide
  • The Hotel Portmeirion in the 1960s and the old fresh water swimming pool (very cold!)
    The Hotel Portmeirion in the 1960s and the old fresh water swimming pool (very cold!)
    The Hotel Portmeirion in the 1960s and the old fresh water swimming pool (very cold!)
  • Watch House sits on the cliff top in 1927
    Watch House around 1927
    A view of the Watch House from the hotel lawn taken around 1927 about a year after the hotel opened.
  • Campanile / Bell Tower / Twr Clychau Portmeirion
    Campanile / Bell Tower / Twr Clychau Portmeirion