A sitting / dining room, one twin bedroom, one double bedroom, four single bedrooms, three bathrooms. Parking directly outside the cottage. Superb views over the village centre. A large cottage on three floors with a small garden area to the front. The kitchen is quite compact as is the sitting / dining area.
The Chantry (1933-34) was so christened simply because Clough liked the name. The first phase of building at Portmeirion involved Clough in 'pegging out' of the project by committing himself to the essential dominant structures, to be linked up with less important buildings later. Thus was Chantry conceived and built at the highest point of all, an escarpment of rock sheer above road. It was intended as a studio for Augustus John.
The design was fully detailed, even including a scale model which has survived. Chantry was featured in a 1938 book "Small Houses £500 - £2,500" edited by Edited by H. Myles Wright M.A., ARIBA, The Architectural Press, London, 1938. "Built firstly to serve as extra accommodation for hotel guests, and ultimately for letting to artist and family. Top floor comprises self-contained studio with access to cupola (chimney) outlook platform...Cost: Approx. £1,500 - 1s 3 1/2 d. per cu. ft." The panel on the cupola is a carving in blue and gold of "Sun and Glory"
This cottage is between Chantry Row and Villa Winch at the top of the village.