Double Room Twin Room
Two Singles (1 in Eaves) Kitchen
Loung - Diner View pdf of Room Layout
Located on Battery Square overlooking the Prisoner Shop, and the village in the background. The cottage also has views of the Estuary from the double room, through panoramic windows. Parking for Toll House is behind the Bridge House cottage. It is accessible via stairs from Battery Square past the Dome, also the dorrway into the Cottage is via outside stairway from Battery Square. The lounge has a door leading onto the outside terrace with views of Estuary.
Toll House (1929; listed Grade II 1971) is of ancient character
with oversailing upper storeys faced with weatherboarding. At the
rear, seaward side, there is a lookout tower at the top floor
level. Clough called Toll House "that black weather boarded thing,
looking rather Norwegian." It was one of the first buildings built
as part of a group around Battery Square. It is embellished with
plaques, bells and signs including a wooden and painted statue of
Saint Peter on a balcony with a small canopy above his head (it
would have been bigger but for a mistake at the foundry but Clough
thought St Peter would not mind). The bell was to summon the
gatekeeper and the blue and white striped pole could be lowered to
restrict access - in 1929 this was the outer limit of the village.
Toll House is a self-catering cottage for six.
The most striking embellishment on the Toll House is Susan Williams-Ellis's sheep cut-out which Clough asked her to design for the Welsh Wool Shop. Clough's original half scale drawing dated March 1957 and Susan's finished full scale artwork have survived and are now in the Town Hall. She painted several murals for her father, most notably on the Salutation and on Lady's Lodge and a plaque on Neptune She designed many of the fabrics and carpets used in the village and all the pottery used at Portmeirion is by Susan.