The Angel (1926, listed Grade II 1971) was Clough's first cottage at Portmeirion. It was so called because Clough had an attractive Angel sign which he wanted to use. Its design dates from late 1925 or early 1926 and the cottage was built in 1926-27 together with Neptune ('the Garage Block'). These two cottages are referred to as "Block A" and "Block B" on Clough's early drawings. Most drawings for Portmeirion are quite basic and often preliminary in character, with room for variations to be made during construction. In style the Angel is traditional West country vernacular with virtually no straight sides or right angles. The materials are specified as 9-inch brickwork on the ground floor, 4-inch studding faced with cement plaster on the first floor, and Crittall's metal casement windows. Angel is now a self-catering cottage for six people (one double, two twin bedrooms, one bathroom, a sitting room, dining room and kitchen). On Angel's south terrace Clough erected an Astrolabe to commemorate the introduction of Summer time. The citation round the circular seat reads simply, 'To William Willett, in gratitude'. William Willett was instrumental in establishing summer time and daylight saving and Clough believed we should be grateful to the man who gave us our long summer evenings.