Government House & Watch House
House (1929-30; listed Grade II 1971) adjoined the earlier Watch House and the Campanile. It is of eighteenth century character with plastered walls, sprocket eaves and hipped roofs of pantiles. The Dolphin is joined by a loggia bridge at first floor level. Government House is so called because when it was built it dominated the whole then existing group upon the cliff top. Originally it provided serviced hotel bedrooms but is now a self-catering cottage sleeping eight people and comprising three twin and two single bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room and sitting room. On the south facing elevation there is a ceramic ship ornament and a trompe l'oeil window with a horned head looking out upon Battery lawn. Above the front door is a small sun peeping through the clouds and on the apex of the main tower is a copper seagull looking out to sea.