Clough acquired Hercules (by William Brodie) in 1960 (listed Grade II 1971) and drove him on the back of a pick-up from Aberdeen to Portmeirion. He was erected in front of the Hercules Hall at the head of Hercules Steps. Clough knew and admired the works of William Brodie (1815-1881), son of John Brodie, a ship-master of Banff. Apprenticed to a plumber, in his spare time Brodie studied at the Mechanics' Institute, where he amused himself by casting lead figures of well-known people. He soon attracted the attention of a Mr. John Hill Burton, who encouraged him to go to Edinburgh in 1847. Here Brodie studied for four years at the Trustees' School of Design, learning to model on a larger scale. Brodie exhibited at the Royal Academy, at the Royal Scottish Academy and at the Great Exhibition of 1851. Hercules was cast about 1863. Clough found him in Aberdeen from a picture in Country Life; he first saw and sketched him on 1st February 1960. Clough felt that so conspicuous a monument should have something to commemorate and so he attached to its base an inscribed plaque bearing the legend, 'To the Summer of 1959, in honour of its splendour." He hoped that such applause might possibly encourage an encore, which eventually it did, in 1971 and again in 1975. The "Nonesuch" plaque to the west side of the pedestal commemorates Clough's disgust at the cold and wet Summer of 1973.