Neptune (1926, listed Grade II 1971) and Angel were Clough's first cottages at Portmeirion, but which came first is unclear. His drawing for Neptune, dated Oct. 1925 calls Neptune "Block A" and Angel "Block B". Its siting alongside Mermaid cottage directly in front of the existing pool suggests that Neptune may have come first. They were certainly conceived as a pair and their construction was probably more or less simultaneous. Both were in situ by the end of 1926 and in use as additional hotel accommodation. Neptune was called "the Garage Block" on early plans (above) and provided space for seven cars. These garages were converted into a shop in the early 1960s, now the Golden Dragon Bookshop.
The first floor accommodation comprises a suite and a double room. Neptune Suite, is reached up a flight of external wooden stairs to a balcony with a plaque of Neptune by Susan Williams-Ellis on the wall. Inside there is a double bedroom with bathroom and sitting room. Next door, reached up a flight of stone steps which also serves Trinity is Neptune One, a double bedroom with bathroom, containing a rug and tiled table also by Susan Williams-Ellis.