The Band Stand
The Bandstand was designed and built in 1961 as the "Portmeirion Substation superstructure loggia" to house and ultimately disguise the village's electrical submains station, for which it is used to this day. The mermaid panels used here, as well as elsewhere in the village, are from the old seaman's home in Liverpool which he had acquired as a job lot for next to nothing at the time that venerable institution was demolished in 1954. These panels can also be seen on the Gloriette, the Bridge House, Gazebo, Anchor balustrade and inside the Pantheon. One stray panel is located on Gwynedd Council Offices and another in Pont Street in London, at one time the site of a Portmeirion antiques shop.