The Central Piazza
The Piazza (1965, pool and fountain listed Grade II 1971) was built to replace an unsightly tennis court that had been there since the 1930s. Clough had originally made drawings for a central space called "The Piazza" in 1925 but that particular design was not executed. However in the early 1960s he was encouraged by his daughter Susan and her husband Euan to create the central piazza. It was pointed out that the tennis court could be resited in a less sensitive position close to the entrance to the village. His response with the fountain pool, Gloriette, Gothic Pavilion and Burmese dancers on Ionic columns is one of his master pieces. His first drawing for the Piazza is dated 1963 (bottom left) and includes two rows of cottages similar toChantry Row and a tower. Although detailed drawings of the tower exist it was not built: only the Gloriette facing a shallow pond containing a fountain and steps between two Ionic columns down to the Gothic Pavilion were included. His plans had to be postponed for some time as he wanted to use seven Ionic Columns which he had acquired thirty years before but could not find. The Ionic columns are adorned with gilded Burmese dancing figures in the style associated with late 19th century court arts of Mandalay, marked by the flamboyant treatment of costume details, especially the exaggerated play of the flame motif. The Piazza was completed the year before Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner series was filmed at Portmeirion and in which it plays such a prominent part.