White Horses (part C18, extended 1966; listed Grade II
1971) was originally a fisherman's cottage. The old part is a single storey stone
building with central chimney stack of traditional Welsh pattern.
Clough's addition links the Observatory Tower to the old cottage.
It is constructed on arches over the path which overlooks an inset
anchorage for boats. The cottage was inhabited for a time by Thomas
Edwards, an infamous South Walian better known locally as yr Hwntw
Mawr who worked as a labourer for William Maddocks on the
Porthmadog embankment. In 1813 he was publicly hanged at Dolgellau
for the murder during a robbery of Mary Jones, the maid at Penrhyn
Isaf farm close to Portmeirion. White Horses' is so called because
with a spring tide and a south-westerly gale, crested breakers
batter its walls and occasionally even break and enter. At one time
Clough used it as a workshop where weaving and dyeing went on. In
1966 Clough converted White Horses into habitable accommodation by
adding two bedrooms raised on arches above the beach footpath. One
of the first residents was Patrick McGoohan who stayed at White
Horses during the filming of The Prisoner in 1966 and
Further along the coast one comes to a folly lighthouse which marks Portmeirion's southernmost point. Made of sheet metal and crowned with an upturned pig boiler and ornate finial it was in situ by 1963.