Two Double Rooms (one en suite) Twin Room
Three Single Rooms Kitchen
Lounge - Diner View pdf of Room Layout
Chantry Cottage is situated on the highest point of the Village, overlooking the heart of the Village, and the Estuary in the distance. It has private parking right outside the front door to the cottage, and has a private balcony area, looking over the village.
The Chantry (1937, listed Grade II 1971) was so christened simply because Clough happened to like the name. The first phase of building at Portmeirion involved Clough in 'pegging out' the project by committing himself to the essential dominant structures, to be linked up with less important buildings later. Thus was Chantry conceived and built at the highest point of all, an escarpment of rock sheer above the roadway and village green. It was intended for Augustus John and included a studio for him on the top floor, complete with fish eye lens looking out over the Campanile. Augustus John, however, had other plans. The design was fully detailed, including sketches from several angles and a scale model which can be viewed in the Dome. Chantry was featured in a 1938 book "Small Houses £500 - £2,500" (H. Myles Wright M.A., ARIBA, The Architectural Press, London, 1938) where it is described as follows: "Built firstly to serve as extra accommodation for hotel guests, and ultimately for letting to artist and family. Top floor comprises self-contained studio with access to cupola (chimney) outlook platform...Cost: Approx. £1,500 - 1s 3 1/2 d. per cu. ft." The panel on the cupola is a carving in blue and gold of "Sun and Glory". Chantry is now a self-catering cottage sleeping nine.