One Double Room Dining Room
One Single Room Kitchen
Bathroom View pdf Room Layout
Located on the top floor of the Arches, above the Golden Dragon Bookshop. It is located opposite Pot Jam shop and next to the Town Hall, on the main roadway down to the Hotel. It has views of other cottages opposite the building, and one small window in the Lounge has a view of the Estuary. Private parking space located at the back of the cottage, and entrance approached via external stairway.
Arches (1963-64, listed Grade II 1971) was first designed in July 1954 (called Upper Arches House) and revised in February 1956 (called The Arches). It is of Mediterranean village character and comprises three storeys and a dummy attic with arcaded ground floor of three round headed arches. It provided staff flats above three garage spaces. In 1965 the garages were converted into the Angel Arcade antiques shop run for many years by Sylvia Jones. The Angel Arcade mural was painted by Hans Feibusch. Upper Arches is now a self-catering flat for three people and the ground floor is now the Bookshop. Close to the Arches is a column (bottom left) built of bricks topped with a classical nymph. This is known as the Williams-Ellis column.